Thursday, March 27, 2008

Creative Collaboration

What I would give to have such a process in my little city of 17,000 in which I work. In 2006, my council ran unopposed. The planning department consists of myself. Public attendance at meetings is abysmal. The design review committee generally rubber stamps projects without many issues. The point of all this is that there is very little creative design or collaboration going on. I really think the creative collaboration process has a place in many places, just that it hasn't really functioned well in government settings, because we are so set in our codes, procedures and ordinances. That's why I respect the planners that I know that work in the private-sector. There they have the ability to do things and try things that us in the public-sector could never do, envelopes that we could never push, and plan projects without constant public intervention. We at times are so stuck to a formulaic approach to things, having to rule "by the book" and assume that rules are rules. Someday perhaps through workshops, public meetings etc. we will see creative collaboration without limits, and let people create ideas without having to worry about the political consequences. The university setting is great for that, because in many instances, the students have no financial interest in a project, but bring fresh and new ideas in a genuine attempt to help. I think that many in this class have been able to participate in that feeling of accomplishment in their groups and projects, in searching for creative ways to get things done.

No comments: